As part of a pilot program by Comcast Internet Essentials that is available ONLY to Palm Beach County residents, eligible seniors can access affordable Internet at home ($9.95+tax/month) and receive free computer and Internet training classes from Comcast’s community partners. Once approved for Internet Essentials, seniors can also buy a desktop or laptop computer for $149.99 (+tax). The computer includes Microsoft Office, Norton™ Security Suite, and comes with a 90-day warranty. The service has no term contract, no credit check, no installation fee, a speed of 10Mbps, and a WiFi router included.
Do You Qualify?
This pilot is being offered on a trial basis in Palm Beach County exclusively for seniors who:
• Are 62 years or older.
• Live in Palm Beach County.
• Receive federal or state public assistance from any of the programs listed below.
• Live in an area where Comcast service is available - but have not subscribed to Comcast Internet Service within the last 90 days. (Cable/video service is O.K.)
• Do not have outstanding debt to Comcast less than a year old. (Seniors with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.)
Not Sure If You Qualify?
Just call 1-855-850-4550 to find out more about the pilot and see if you are eligible to apply.
To Apply - Call 1-855-850-4550. During the call you’ll be asked a number of questions, including your name, age, and address. Be sure to mention if you were referred by a partner organization to see if you are eligible for a simplified application process.
As part of the application process, applicants may be required to present the following:
Requirement A – Proof of Public Assistance
To be eligible, seniors must receive one of the following forms of either federal or state assistance.
Federal Assistance Programs
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
• Federal Public House Assistance (Section 8)
• Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
• Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
• National School Lunch Program
• Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
• Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
• Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
• Head Start
• Medicare Extra Help Program
State of FL Assistance Programs
• Temporary Cash Assistance
• Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP)
Requirement B – Proof of Age
Eligible Individuals must be 62 years or older and submit one of the following forms of proof of age.
US Government-issued ID (State or Federal) with birthdate; for example:
• Driver’s License
• State-issued ID
• Birth Certificate
• Voter Registration Card
Free Digital Training Classes
To learn how to use computers and the Internet, please contact one of our training partners below to find classes near you:
Urban League of Palm Beach County